Review Policy

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight By Jennifer E Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight By Jennifer E Smith.
Genre: Young adult/ Romance/ Contempary.
Publisher: Poppy/Little Brown.

Summary: Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan’s life. She’s stuck at JFK, late to her father’s second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley’s never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport’s cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he’s British, and he’s in seat 18C. Hadley’s in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver’s story will make you believe that true love finds you when you’re least expecting it.


Review: This story takes place over twenty four hours, so of course I was fascinated with how this would work and I give stars to Jennifer because she did a good job on this. The story takes place at the airport where we meet Hadley the main character who is having daddy issues, since shes going to England to see him again and she hasnt saw him in a year since he left her mother for another woman. She misses her plane by four minutes so happens to have to get the next plane that happens to not be leaving for another three hours, this is where Oliver makes his appearance and the two start talking. The story starts properly from here and you can see that their journey is going to be a fun one since they have each other on the plane. This story was one of those stories that you wish you was apart of because it was sweet, romantic and totally made you think about everything happening for a reason.  Even though it was a very fluffy and a quick light read, this book did have its few sad moments, moments that make you realise how lucky you are compared to other people. There were a few surpises that I didnt expect either, so that was nice.

The characters were easy-going and I enjoyed reading about them. Escpially Oliver. He intrigued me more then Hadley herself. Hadley at the beginning annoyed me a little because she came across as one of those whining daughters, but half way through I understood her side of the story and she finally lost the moaning stage. Oliver was pretty awesome. He was one of those boys that gets along with anyone and seems to find it easy to talk to Hadley. He was a funny, cheeky, happy character. I dont think I could point out any flaws on him because he was just lovely. I loved how Oliver had a worse background then Hadley yet he didnt show it, he was good with his emotions and was very down to earth. I even liked Charlotte ( her stepmother) because I found, unlike most stepmoms she actually is nice. And just wants her dad and Hadley to get along.

The ending was epic and I was actually dissapointed when it ended, because I wanted more. I think that was the only problem with this book, it was too short. I wanted so much more to happen, because loads more could of. But I was satisfied with what I read anyway.

Favourite quote:

"Did you know that people who meet at least three different times within twenty-four hour period are ninety-eight percent more likely to meet again?” 


I rate this book A

No comments:

Post a Comment