Review Policy

Monday 16 July 2012

Review: As You Wish By Jackson Pearce

As You Wish By Jackson Pearce
Genre: Young Adult/ Fantasy.
Publisher: Harper Teen.
Rating: B / 3.5

Summary: A brokenhearted Viola inadvertently summons a genie into her world. Jinn agrees to stay until Viola makes three wishes, but she's afraid she won't wish for the right thing. Jinn can't deny that he's falling for Viola, and only after she makes her first wish does Viola realize she's in love with Jinn.

Review: This is my first Jackson Pearce book that I have read. It had been on my bookshelf a little while now and because it was a genie related book I knew I had to read it sooner or later because I love genies. The story revolves around a girl named Viola who happens to be a very broken, slightly lonely girl. Whos bestfriend happens to be her ex-boyfriend who told her just six months ago that he was gay and this happens to be the reason to why she is so alone. She happens to really want to fit in again and feel like she is apart of something in the crowd at school and thats where the genie (also known as Jinn) comes along. Straight from the beginning Jinn makes it clear that he wants to hurry the wishes up so he can go back to Caliban. But as Viola knows wishes dont always mean things go the way you want them too, so she takes her time to think on them. That leads to Jinn having to spend time with Viola which leads to Jinn questioning himself on if he really wants to leave Viola and go back to his own world.

I enjoyed this book simply for the fact that I loved Jinn. He was a sweet, caring genie. Who at first comes across as impatient and pissed off. He was very quirky with his words with Viola and always wanted what was best for her. After being there for a few days you got to see how much he had developed a passion for being on earth, and how much he just wanted to fit in. Unlike Jinn, Viola annoyed me. There were times when I really wanted to shut the book because she just moaned and felt sorry for herself so much. It was like yes your boyfriend broke up with you six months ago, you need to get over it and realise theres more in life then sitting in your bedroom depressed. Right at the end I did start to like her but I just thought she was very self-centered. I also liked Violas best friend Lawrence because he also knows about Jinn being a genie and I just thought he was the awesome gay bestfriend everyone wishes they had.

The ending was written on a good note. There is a little twist. It ended the way it should. I felt it was the right way to go because she could of totally gone the cliche way and she didn't. I think the ending was cute and it reminded me of possibly a disney movie in the future who knows. It was a quick- read- book and I deffinetly reccomend it if your wanting something light to read in the summer.

I rate this:

No comments:

Post a Comment